From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on the licensing issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:05:07
1 Hi,
2
3 Had some more thoughts about that licensing issue and wanted to make some
4 suggestions.
5
6 I think the GPL-compatible set makes barely sense. The problem with it is, as
7 stated by various people, that we have different GPLs. GPL2 and 3 are
8 incompatible, so it doesn't mean "GPL-compatible" are all licenses that can be
9 mixed together. I don't know how/if we should resolve this.
10
11 Difference between OSI and FSF approved: AFAIK, I once read about one license
12 that OSI approved and FSF not. Do we have any affected packages in the tree
13 where FSF and OSI differ? I think the definitions of FSF and OSI are pretty
14 much the same, their differences are more on a political level, not on a
15 licensing one. So I'd like it much more to have one big "This is free and open
16 source software" set.
17
18 For documentation, we may want to have another set? I'll add one with the well
19 known free documentation licenses (FDL, CC by, cc by-sa). If we decide to go
20 some other way, we can throw it away, but I wanted to start something ;-)
23 What bites me is the man-pages issue. Is it really the case that there's no
24 free (as in freedom) man-pages package? Maybe then we should provide an option
25 to install the base system without man-pages?
28 Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
29 GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber/Mail: hanno@××××××.de
30
31 http://schokokeks.org - professional webhosting