From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 00:21:07
1 On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 00:12:23 +0100
2 flameeyes@×××××.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:
3 > - no need to replicate homepage data between versions; even though
4 > forks can change homepage, I would expect that to at worse split in
5 > two a package, or have to be different by slot, like Java;
6
7 You mean "no way of handling generated homepages, use conditional
8 homepages, per version homepages or common homepages".
9
10 > - allows proper handling of packages lacking a HOMEPAGE;
11
12 Uh, we can do that using in-ebuild HOMEPAGE too. Just need to decide on
13 a convention.
14
15 > - less data in metadata cache;
16
17 Entirely a non-issue. Heck, we want more in there, not less.
18
19 > - users can check the metadata much more easily by just opening the
20 > xml file or interfacing to that rather than having to skim through the
21 > ebuild, the xml files are probably more user readable then ebuilds
22 > using multiple eclasses;
23
24 ...or they can just use a decent too. Try 'paludis --query' for an
25 example.
26
27 > - displaying info about the package does not require parsing the full
28 > ebuild file, with its eclasses;
29
30 Uhm. It doesn't anyway, because of the metadata cache.
31
32 > - extensible to provide more links than just the homepage (forums,
33 > trackers, gentoo-specific documentation, ...);
34
35 So's HOMEPAGE. You could extend the syntax to allow annotations:
36
37 HOMEPAGE="
38 http://example.com/
39 http://forums.example.com/ [[ role = forums ]]
40 http://www.gentoo.org/example [[ role = [ Gentoo specific docs ] ]]
41 gtk+? ( http://gui.example.com/ [[ role = [ Optional GUI docs ] ]]
42 "
43
44 > - if we also move DESCRIPTION, search software can ignore everything
45 > about ebuild parsing, and just use the metadata.xml files;
46 > considering how many people actually use or used eix, it would make
47 > sense to allow third-party applications to be able to search through
48 > the tree;
49
50 Except that any decent search client needs to be aware of masks,
51 visibility and so on anyway.
52
53 > - webapps like packages.gentoo.org would be able to display basic
54 > information without having to parse the ebuilds or the metadata
55 > cache.
56
57 But they already display complex information.
58
59 > - as much as people might think metadata is easier to parse than
60 > anything, XML has one huge advantage: there are plently of parsers
61 > for any language without having to actually write one, even as easy
62 > as it can be, and it's easily interfaced with anything; I wrote a
63 > simple XSL file that outputs the basic metadata details for packages
64 > without having any parser or executable code but xsltproc (or any
65 > other XSLT software), correlating data with herds.xml too;
66
67 ...or you could use a proper ebuild-aware tool that displays metadata
68 details, including things like visibility. Again, paludis --query.
69
70 > - it really is metadata, and it makes very little sense to need
71 > parsing of eclasses and EAPI handling to get some data from a package
72 > that is non-functional in nature and free form (just like
73 > DESCRIPTION, and unlike LICENSE like Alec said), and that changes at
74 > worse once each slot (unlike LICENSE that can change at any given
75 > version).
76
77 It isn't non-functional.
78
79 > And the fact that you can ask the package manager for something is
80 > for me not a valid reason to avoi moving something in a more
81 > approchable place for other software.
82
83 "More approachable" is a decent package manager API. If you had that
84 you wouldn't need to mess around with XML APIs.
87 Ciaran McCreesh