From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:01:40
1 On 9/10/18 10:56 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 9/10/18 10:51 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> Consider again the bug that started this. The maintainer had not built
4 >> this configuration. None of the arch teams had built this
5 >> configuration until I did for the last architecture Cc'd. The patch
6 >> committed doesn't change anything installed on the system, if not for
7 >> Werror preventing the code from building.
8 >
9 > one way to look at it though, is that it is a valuable upstream
10 > contribution that this configuration produces the error, so Gentoo is
11 > contributing to upstream development because of it.
14 Adding to this, that arch testing for stabilization didn't catch this
15 might say more about our stabilization procedures than the quality of
16 the upstream package (that in this case routinely includes patches to
17 fix these issues). And they are mostly cought in testing (~arch)
20 Kristian Fiskerstrand
21 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
22 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3