From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:41:21
1 Jakub Moc wrote: [Sun Mar 04 2007, 05:30:37PM CST]
2 > Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
3 > > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:08:40 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > >> Erm, to be precise here, noone has removed any ciaranm's attributions
6 > >> from devmanual, they've all been moved to the end of the document
7 > >> originally, so that people wouldn't be forced to scroll across one
8 > >> page worth of contributors to get to the actual content of devmanual.
9 > >
10 > > Nnnnnnope. All credits except for one name (of someone whose
11 > > contributions were limited to a few sentences) were removed from the
12 > > front page entirely, completely in violation of the licence.
13 >
14 > Erm yes, you wanted bigger fonts on a front page, already said that
15 > multiple times (plus everyone can read the bug). Noone removed any
16 > credits from the doc itself, they were moved to a different place for
17 > the reason I've stated above.
18 >
19 > Stop this already, we've been thru this once and that's been really
20 > enough, I fail to see why are you bringing up this issue here again and
21 > abusing it for completely false generalisations (as quoted by seemant in
22 > his mail).
23
24 *Sigh* If you're a bystander trying to figure out who's right here in
25 this little thread about the devmanual, the answer is "neither". Or
26 "both". Take your pick.
27
28 Here's what happened, to the best of my recollection. Back when ciaranm
29 was a Gentoo dev, he wrote the majority of an unofficial ebuild
30 development guide--the "devmanual". Several other devs contributed
31 various sections, but most of the content was Ciaranm's. When ciaranm
32 was booted, that work would have been lost, but plasmaroo, with Ciaran's
33 eventual permission, hosted the original doc in his dev space. The
34 original devmanual was written using Restructured Text (like our GLEPs),
35 along with various scripts that ciaranm wrote to assemble all of the
36 bits and pieces properly into a coherent online guide. Plasmaroo and
37 halcy0n converted the restructured text to guidexml. In doing so, the
38 list of authors was moved to an appendix, with the front page
39 prominently crediting ciaranm (but none of the other authors), and
40 listing plasmaroo and halcy0n where the list of authors used to reside.
41 (It know it listed them as "Editors" eventually. Did it originally list
42 them as "Authors"? I don't remember.) Ciaranm complained that the
43 Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license that was used didn't
44 permit relegating the list of authors to an appendix. That was the
45 complaint. I can't seem to find the bug right now, but it does make
46 interesting reading if you can find it.
47
48 The original rationale for moving the author list to an appendix was
49 because it was quite long, and plasmaroo and halcy0n assumed that most
50 readers didn't really care. I doubt that any malice was intended.
51 Ciaranm pointed out on one of the mailing lists (-dev, I assume), that
52 this relocation of the author list violates the license. My
53 recollection was that his original post was polite and factual (and
54 probably quite terse). The thread (and later bug) then spiralled out of
55 control, with a considerable number of accusations, counter-accusations,
56 and misunderstandings. No, ciaranm wasn't complaining that he "wanted a
57 bigger font on the front page". As far as I could tell, he simply
58 wanted due credit for the other authors. Yes, that initial polite post
59 by ciaranm was followed by many vitriolic posts by him that did no good
60 whatsoever. Impressively, hardly anybody actually focussed on whether
61 or not the devmanual CC license was, in fact, being violated. After an
62 insane amount of fighting I suggested a simple compromise (that I
63 thought would satisfy the license) where the full list of authors would
64 be listed on the front page as a simple, compact list of names. The
65 appendix would still detail which author wrote what. That's what you'll
66 see on the current devmanual, and as far as I know everybody involved is
67 content with that solution.
68
69 Morale? Heck if I know. Perhaps it should be no more than "get your
70 facts straight, or you'll have to deal with another annoyingly lengthy
71 post from g2boojum".
72
73 Yours tiredly,
74 g2boojum
75 --
76 Grant Goodyear
77 Gentoo Developer
78 g2boojum@g.o
79 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
80 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76