From: Axel Gerber <a.gerber@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 1.2 running on a iP200MMX
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:23:13
1 Dear Gentoo-team,
2
3 Thank you very much for this outstanding great project.
4
5 I have just installed Gentoo on one of my maschines which is a iP200MMX
6 with 64MB ram, 6GB nodma HD (was tricky to start).
7
8 Within this install I need to say "excellent dokumentation". It is
9 really KISS (keep it stupid simple).
10
11 I would like to suggest you to have eather a hint in your READMEs which
12 tells about ide=nodma (which was my way to prevent the maschin hanging
13 on partition check with dma on) or offering a kernel with
14 # CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO = is not set
15
16 Another thing maybe is interessting...
17 especially on older maschines with 586 or 486 users like or need to
18 install with the ix86 image. Because these maschines take really a long
19 time to install (my iP200 over 24h just for the basic system) and the
20 internet connection will be fired every now an than it'll be helpful to
21 have source-CDs avail and the install-script should know which CD to
22 take.
25 Yes, I could mirror your ftp but than I have to run an ftp-server here
26 which I didn't untill yet. However I have two location where I live but
27 just on with the 'net' and I'd like to install Gentoo also in my small
28 flat near my job (agaian there is no internet). This time I'll try to
29 transfer all necessary files to there and install thru my local network
30 I have there. Anyway another way possible way would be helpful, an
31 install from an existion HD-partition but how to handle the
32 /etc/make.conf. Is there a possibility like GENTOO_MIRRORS =
33 "file://any.mounted.filesystem" ? And how about the portage server????
34 I fear I have to transport this maschine to here and than I can do it...
35
36 Any of your help is highly appreciated.
39 Mit freundlichen Grüßen
40 With Kind Regards
41 Med vendlig hilsen
44 Axel Gerber