From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Looking for help with kernel maintenance
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:57:42
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm looking to find one or more people to help out with
4 gentoo-sources-2.6 maintenance (our primary supported kernel). Right
5 now, me and Mike Pagano do most of the kernel work. I disappear fairly
6 often and it's always good to have more than 1 active person on the project.
7
8 I'm looking for someone with at least:
9 - Interest in kernel stuff, or a desire to become interested
10 - Time to put towards the tasks
11 - Enthusiasm to ask lots of questions rather than let stuff
12 sit around
13 - Basic experience with bugzilla
14 - Basic kernel experience (i.e. you can compile your own)
15
16 Having knowledge of kernel internals or experience with kernel hacking
17 are NOT requirements because if you have time, interest and ask a lot of
18 questions then these will come anyway. A lot of the work doesn't involve
19 technical stuff, plus I was certainly very clueless about all this when
20 I originally got involved a few years ago.
21
22 Being an existing Gentoo developer is not a requirement. Most of the
23 work is done on bugzilla and via email. This may be a good opportunity
24 to get involved with development and later become a Gentoo developer for
25 those that are interested.
26
27 It's an enjoyable task, you get to interact with a lot of very
28 intelligent people upstream and you end up learning a lot.
29
30 Email me (dsd@g.o) if you are interested!
31
32 Thanks,