From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: cbergstrom@×××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:48:02
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:15:37 +0700
2 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Long term the API to pkgcore could be beneficial, but
5 > again I'm not sure it's a game changer for users.
6
7 Long term, we should have an independent API backend that tools can
8 query; not rewrite our tools every time users want to use them with a
9 different package manager.
10
11 Yes, a side effect of not having that is that a lot of tools would need
12 to be rewritten too if we would make a sudden move to pkgcore; or at
13 least, it would mean that Portage would still need to be around to serve
14 as an API, but that would also mean it still needs to be maintained.
17 With kind regards,
18
19 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
20 Gentoo Developer
21
22 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
23 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
24 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D