From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Bugzilla HOWTO (your input please)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:13:27
1 On Monday 27 September 2004 05:58, Collins Richey wrote:
2 > Now is your chance to provide suggestions. If you know about common
3 > Bugzilla mistakes, tricks to make the process of entering bugs easier,
4 > additional data that should be entered with each bug, keywords that
5 > will help in searching, etc., please let me know. Your suggestions
6 > will help me produce a better document.
7
8 Besides the points that the old HOWTO makes I would like to add the
9 following gripes:
10 - If compilation fails in a package that does not mean that your bug is
11 the same bug as another compilation failure in that package with a
12 different error message (especially not in complicated packages like
13 openoffice). Handling two different issues in one bugzilla bug is very
14 difficult.
15 - Do not be affraid to attach full build logs to bugs (and your emerge
16 INFO of course). If they are too big use gzip (not tar cfz). Don't put
17 them inline.
18 - Error numbers from make mean absolutely nothing for diagnosing a bug.
19 Even though problems seem to surface in the last 25 lines of output from
20 emerge that does not mean that the real cause can be found hundreds of
21 lines earlier.
22 - Avoid attaching tarballs, preferably provide each file separately.
23 - Please please provide the right mime type, it makes reading/downloading
24 much easier.
25 - Use the latest ebuild to base the new patch/ebuild of, nothing is more
26 annoying than reintroducing bugs because an older version was used as
27 base.
28 - Keep your hands of the priority settings that increase priority, when a
29 compilation fails for you it does not mean that it is a blocker.
30 - If submitting an ebuild, follow the guidelines (yes, that seems obvious)
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze
36 Gentoo Developer