From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why? pciutils with zlib use-flag went stable on x86
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:57:03
1 On P, 2007-07-29 at 18:44 +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > so today, pciutils-2.2.4-r3 went stable on x86.
5 > It's a known issue, that pciutils compiled with zlib use-flag turned on
6 > (which is default) doesn't work with the version of hal, which is
7 > currently stable on x86.
8 >
9 > So at the moment, hal-0.5.9-r1 is stable on x86. It went stable weeks or
10 > even months ago. Now, pciutils-2.2.4-r3 is compiled with zlib use-flag
11 > turned on. There are now warning, errors, or any other messages about
12 > the zlib use-flag - well, until you recompile hal.
13 >
14 > The hal-ebuild checks, whether pciutils has been built with or without
15 > the zlib use-flag. But what is this check worth, if people have already
16 > upgraded hal weeks ago and the uncompatibility between pciutils and hal
17 > is now unnoticed?
20 > Why did you provocate this breakage?
23 > This is not a good idea, IMHO.
24
25 No. And many gave up getting this sensible again.
26 As is, the default USE flags for a desktop profile lead to a compilation
27 failure when unattended due to this, which is very very bad.
28
29 At one point I thought I will simply not stabilize GNOME-2.18 until
30 pciutils is fixed to follow what upstream wants, what most other
31 maintainers wish, and what is sensible to do. I see no reason whatsoever
32 for this gzipping, not even for embedded devices as a gzipped file can't
33 be mmapped.
34 Then I realized GNOME-2.16 compilation for a fresh system with desktop
35 profiles is broken now also anyhow.
38 Mart Raudsepp
39 Gentoo Developer
40 Mail: leio@g.o