From: Eivind Tagseth <eivindt-gentoo@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-java] Help with new Cocoon ebuild
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:12:21
1 * Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> [2004-01-06 00:17:14 +0100]:
2
3 > - my next package is build upon Cocoon, but anything left by the ebuild are
4 > the docs and the war file in Tomcat
5 > - cocoon runs into multiple servlet containers, we have in portage Tomcat,
6 > Resin, jBoss and j2eesdk
7 > - cocoon can run standalone
8 > - cocoon is not reported as a java-package by java-config
9 >
10 > Therefore I would like to:
11 > - build Cocoon into /usr/share/cocoon
12 > - provide a package.env
13 > - support USE-flags for installation of Cocoon into existing servlet
14 > containers or have a global virtual/servlet-container where cocoon is
15 > installed
16
17 > Also I am not sure about the strategy for the servlet container problem. If
18 > there is a default servlet container in the virtuals, Cocoon could be
19 > installed automatically, but I wonder if this is really what a user wants.
20 > Cocoon itself just is a "library" with samples. The generated webapp is of
21 > no use and mainly an example how to build your own webpp. It is fine, if
22 > after installation you can test the running Cocoon, but that's all.
23
24 You are right, there are IMO several holes in the ebuild system when it
25 comes to java.
26
27 When it comes to web applications, there is currently a GLEP
28 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0011.html) which deals with the
29 many shortcomings of ebuild for "normal" web applications (basically,
30 anything running under apache). Unfortunately, this GLEP doesn't mention
31 servlets at all (I was planning to send a proposal for servlets, but
32 never got around to it). This is a shame, since many of the issues with
33 apache web applications are the same as for servlets.
34
35 Another problem with java ebuilds in general is that the current setup
36 cannot support slots. There are many cases when one app requires
37 java-package-0.5.x, while another package requires 1.0.x. This wouldn't
38 be too hard to add by changing the java-config script and the dojar
39 functions to add a slot number to the jar-files, kind of like what is
40 done for shared libraries.
44 Eivind
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list