From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 19:53:09
1 On Sat, 23 May 2020 07:20:22 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 21 May 2020 10:47:07 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Other ideas
8 > > ===========
9 > > Do you have any other ideas on how we could resolve this?
10 >
11 > And a question I'd like to revisit, because nobody responded to it:
12 >
13 > - What are the incentives a would-be spammer has to spam this service.
14 >
15 > Services that see spam *typically* have a definable objective.
16 >
17 > *Typically* it revolves around the ability to submit /arbitrary text/,
18 > which allows them to hawk something, and this becomes a profit motive.
19 >
20 > If we implement data validation so that there's no way for them to
21 > profit off what they spam, seems likely they'll be less motivated to
22 > develop the necessary circumvention tools. ( as in, we shouldn't
23 > accept arbitrary CAT/PN pairs as being valid until something can
24 > confirm those pairs exist in reality )
25 >
26 > There may be people trying to jack the data up, but ... it seems a
27 > less worthy target.
28 >
29 > So it seems the largest risk isn't so much "spam", but "denial of
30 > service", or "data pollution".
31 >
32 > Of course, we should still mitigate, but /how/ we mitigate seems to
33 > pivot around this somewhat.
34
35 We cannot exclude overlays which will have cat/pkg not in the main
36 gentoo repo. So, we should not excludea submission that includes a few
37 of these. They would just become irrelevant outliers to our
38 processesing of the data. In fact some of these outlier pkgs could be
39 relevant to our including that pkg into the main repo.
40
41 But, like you I agree that purely spam submissions would be few, if any.