From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] uninstalling packages with portage
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:38:47
1 On Wednesday 27 August 2003 17:27, Mikael Andersson wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 August 2003 02.37, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:32:02PM -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
4 > > > I think the point is, why do they not block each other? Shouldn't they?
5 > > >
6 > > > Not that this is part of the original thread :)
7 > >
8 > > Why should they? netkit-base is a package that happens to provide
9 > > ping among other utilities; because all of them except the old-style
10 > > inetd are deprecated (old-style inetd is deprecated but some people
11 > > still prefer it, for whatever reason). It no longer provides ping, just
12 > > old-style inetd.
13 > >
14 > > Block each other in what way? How do you know before getting to the
15 > > merge stage that files might be conflicting?
16 >
17 > I agree that we can't block them because we don't know _before_ the merge
18 > stage. But at the merge stage it should be posssible to check if the files
19 > are included in another (already installed) ebuild. This would of course
20 > require that such information is present in a way that it can be done
21 > reasonably fast. My suggestion is to present this
22 > as a warning/information to the user. For example by outputting the
23 > relevant merge line (<<<) with ewarn.
24 > But more important is to record these conflict so that portage can issue a
25 > warning before an unmerge that package-such-and-such will be broken and
26 > need to be rebuild.
27
28 Checking if files are already included in another ebuild is good, but I would
29 suggest backing up the existing file instead of overwriting it.That way it
30 could just be restored on an unmerge rather than rebuilding the entire
31 package. Perhaps a generic chooser tool as well? Something along the lines of
32 opengl-update?
33
34 Regards,
35 Jason