From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge system through sandbox
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:19:36
1 Hi,
2
3 I performed an entire 'emerge system' on a freshly installed machine
4 with the sandbox installed beforehand. This made it possible to check
5 all system packages for accedental writes outside the allowed dirs.
6 Below is the list of packages that failed and the details :
7
8 fileutils
9 mkdir: /usr/tmp/cf19190
10 mkdir: /usr/lib/cf19190
11
12 findutils
13 mkdir: /var/spool/locate
14
15 gpm
16 mkdir: /etc/gpm
17
18 ncurses
19 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012345
20 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012346
21
22 patch
23 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012345
24 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012346
25
26 pwdb
27 open_wr: /usr/portage/sys-libs/pwdb/files/.
28
29 sh-utils
30 mkdir: /usr/tmp/cf8115
31 mkdir: /usr/lib/cf8115
32
33 tar
34 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012345
35 open_wr: /usr/tmp/conftest9012346
36
37 textutils
38 mkdir: /usr/tmp/cf27156
39 mkdir: /usr/lib/cf27156
40
41 Out of this I conclude that it might be a good idea to open up
42 '/usr/tmp' for writing too. Anyway, it's linked to /var/tmp and ormally
43 the dirs that are created in /usr/tmp by these packages are deleted
44 immediately afterwards.
45
46 I'm currently building an entire gnome desktop through the sandbox.
47 There's already one problem which I've discussed with Hallski. Quite
48 some packages need to write to '/var/log/scrollkeeper.log' during their
49 installation. Hallski is going to investigate how this could be helped,
50 but in the meantime I've opened up my local sadbox for this file
51 temporarely.
52
53 Best regards,
54
55 Geert
58 Geert Bevin
59 the Leaf sprl/bvba
60 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
61 http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
62 gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98