From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Augmenting the CPU_FLAGS_X86 list and creating CPU_FLAGS_PPC + CPU_FLAGS_ARM
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 21:16:14
1 On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:08 PM, David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dear friends,
3 > while version bumping sci-libs/fftw, I've noticed our CPU_FLAGS_X86
4 > list could be expanded a bit:
5 >
6 > avx512 - introduced with Skylake and Knights Landing
7
8 According to Wikipedia, "AVX-512 consists of multiple extensions not
9 all meant to be supported by all processors implementing them."
10
11 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512
12
13 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID#EAX.3D7.2C_ECX.3D0:_Extended_Features
14
15 > I also propose creating a CPU_FLAGS_PPC variable containing (at least):
16 >
17 > altivec - PowerPC's SSE
18
19 I see this one exists in use.desc.
20
21 > vsx - PowerPC's AVX
22
23 I don't see any ebuids using this.
24
25 > Finally, I also propose creating CPU_FLAGS_ARM variable containing:
26 >
27 > neon
28 >
29 > Any ideas? Currently cpu-feature flags for non-x86 are package local,
30 > whereas making them globally available makes masking easier for non-
31 > applicable archs etc. and makes enabling them easier for users.
32
33 It seems strange to create a USE_EXPAND variable with exactly one value.