From: Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a Sketeton System
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:24:15
1 George Prowse wrote:
2
3 > After some talk in the forums a point came up that we need a way to
4 > reduce the long used gentoo system to a bare point before X but after
5 > any baselayout upgrade had been applied.
6
7 Isn't that what the stages are, Barebone systems?
8
9 > This script would enable two things: a person to rebuild his system
10 > after a library malfunction and also if a person wanted to switch from
11 > 100% gtk to 100% qt or vice-versa.
12 >
13 > At present we have depclean to reduce anything past xorg-x11 but that
14 > doesn't get as far as anything that doesn't rely on a package being
15 > able to depend on an GUI, libraries need to be brought in and all but
16 > baselayout needs to be cleaned out so a "bare bone" is left.
17
18 Why not just move world out of the way and then emerge what you want to
19 keep/install then emerge depclean the rest (although this could easily
20 fubar a system if they do it blindly removing important system packages)
21
22 > This would be useful as an arch tester because snapshots could be made
23 > of various stages and tested.
24
25 > George
26