From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: stabilizing expat 2.0.0
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 01:40:27
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 >> Now, how can we do this? Could we start changing the profiles right now?
3 >
4 > Considering we already have a 2.0.0 ebuild, we do the following:
5 >
6 > - Mask >=2.0.0-r9 (this allows for security bumps, if necessary, number
7 > can be adjusted)
8 > - Copy 2.0.0 to 2.0.0-r9
9 > - When we make a new 2007.1 profile, don't mask >=2.0.0-r9
10 > - Stable 2.0.0-r9 in the 2007.1 snapshot and mark it stable in the tree
11 > with the release
12 > - ???
13 > - Profit!
16 >> Should this be brought to the next council meeting?
17 >
18 > Is that really necessary? What can the Council do that we cannot agree
19 > upon here as civil adults? I think we can agree to do this ourselves.
20 > I can definitely agree to it from a Release Engineering standpoint. It
21 > would work quite well and is beneficial to our users.
22 >
23 ++
24
25 >> Chris, I could write a small paragraph for whatever GWN explaining what
26 >> stable and unstable users will have to do if you want.
27 >
28 > Sure. However, if we did follow my draft plan above, there would be no
29 > need. Users running ~arch have probably hit this already by now, so I
30 > don't think we would be informing too many people. That being said, it
31 > would make a cool article. Even if just to show that, yes, we really do
32 > care for our users and think about ways to reduce the impact on their
33 > systems.
34 >
35 Personally I found the outline above about how such a tree-wide change is
36 implemented to be fascinating technically, so I think an article is a great
37 idea, especially if that could be fleshed out to cover metadata format
38 changes and the like. I have no idea exactly what other types of changes
39 would require such a move, but I'd love to read about them.
40
41 A 90% revdep-rebuild would definitely tempt me to reinstall tho :)
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list