From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MySQL 4 still marked unstable?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:23:12
1 > As far as protecting ebuilds goes, I was actually referring to the ability
2 > to mix keywords (i.e. x86 and ~x86) and still upgrade world in an easy
3 > manner. I think there should be two source or ebuild systems, one for the
4 > base system and one for the "ports". In this manner one can keep the
5 > software up to date and yet keep the system stable. I am thinking along the
6 > lines of the freebsd ports system, but with ebuilds instead.
7
8 Clearly "-U" needs to get fixed, and I know that carpaski has plans to
9 do just that. It's worth noting, though, that one of the great
10 strengths of Gentoo Linux is that there is _no_ separation between
11 "system" and "ports" as there is in the bsd world; all packages are
12 handled on an equal footing. That lack of separation is one of the
13 things that makes Gentoo so useful as a metadistribution -- somebody who
14 needs a custom base profile can easily create one.
15
16 -g2boojum-
17 --
18 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>