From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:14:45
1 On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 23:51:42 -0700
2 "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Gentoo projects are controlled by and generally run entirely by Gentoo
5 > developers. You are not a Gentoo developer, yet you define the
6 > direction of PMS and Paludis. Therefore, PMS and Paludis can't be
7 > considered official Gentoo projects.
8
9 (I'm picking this mail to respond to in lieu of the entire thread...)
10
11 Paludis is not and never has been a Gentoo project. PMS is a Gentoo
12 project with external contributors, and hence can't be hosted on Gentoo
13 svn. I define the direction PMS takes, and I control its subversion
14 repository; Ciaran just happens to be doing a lot of the actual work
15 writing it. There is nothing Paludis specific in it; it defines that
16 set of behaviour upon which ebuilds may rely, which is for obvious
17 reasons a subset of what Portage currently supports. If Paludis
18 supports something that Portage doesn't, then it can't be used in the
19 tree and doesn't belong in PMS, at least until Portage grows the
20 support and it can be put into a later EAPI revision. The only
21 connection between PMS and Paludis is a correlation between the people
22 writing each.
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list