From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:56:47
1 On 29-10-2019 15:45:34 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 15:33 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > In addition, there are currently files there that aren't referenced from
4 > > ebuilds. Prefix uses these files during bootstrap, local mirrors are
5 > > often much faster than dev.g.o.
6 > >
7 > > If the files don't get mirrored anymore, I guess I can create a dummy
8 > > ebuild that has the files in SRC_URI.
9 >
10 > Ok, this is something I wasn't aware of. I agree that dummy ebuild
11 > should not be necessary here. However, I'm also not sure if distfiles-
12 > local is really the proper way either, especially that I don't see such
13 > files on woodpecker right now.
14
15 There should be /space/distfiles-local and
16 /space/distfiles-whitelist/prefix with a list of files to retain on the
17 mirror.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Fabian
21
22 > I don't think the matter is urgent right now, so let's ponder on it
23 > a bit. In particular, I think we should have a clear indication of who
24 > added which files, when, what for and where they came from. Those are
25 > precisely the things that the current distfiles-local approach misses.
26 >
27 > > If the files get mirrored, but put in a subdir based on the filename
28 > > hash, the original query endpoint on distfiles.g.o changes, much like
29 > > the SRC_URI approach.
30 > >
31 > > Now I can use distfiles.prefix.b.n which redirects to the distfiles.g.o
32 > > URL with subdir for most part I think, but it's sub-optimal from my
33 > > point of view. Calculating the hash is not always feasible due to the
34 > > lack of b2sum or other means. Hence my earlier request to have such
35 > > official translation service on Gentoo hardware.
36 > >
37 > > (I just wrote a small wsgi script that calculates the hash and generates
38 > > the redirect from Python, served via uwsgi/nginx, but there should be
39 > > many ways to achieve the same goals, if and only if a blake2b
40 > > implementation were available for it.)
41 >
42 > This is also something that needs thinking. I personally don't mind
43 > having one but it would be nice if it was able to account for geodns
44 > and such.
45 >
46 > --
47 > Best regards,