From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Multislot dependencies
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:10:32
1 On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:57:11 +0200
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > I miss two things here:
4 > a) What happens in case of DEPEND="", RDEPEND=">=cat/bar-2:=" ? Is
5 > that defined? If yes, what does it mean? If not, what shall be the
6 > package managers behaviour?
7
8 := only makes sense when something is both a DEPEND and an RDEPEND.
9 Actual behaviour, for Paludis, is that it rewrites := deps to :=blah
10 when writing to VDB any time it can, and leaves anything it can't as :=
11 deps. Verifying sanity of := use is left to developers and the QA tool.
12
13 > b) It is not said that a package depending on "|| ( cat/bar:2
14 > cat/bar:3 )" then really uses cat/bar:3 if available, it might as
15 > well use cat/bar:2 for one reason or another. It might be clearer if
16 > we have slots named "stable", "unstable". In such a case a package
17 > depending on cat/bar might decided to use cat/bar:stable if available
18 > instead of cat/bar:unstable. So, the spec should either state that
19 > the package must use the best matching version or we need another way
20 > for such cases, like a function to explicitly tell the pm which slot
21 > has been used.
22
23 The only sensible thing you can do with multiple matches on := slots
24 (and ||=, if that route is taken) is to take the slot of the best
25 matching installed version, and require that ebuilds do that too. In
26 real world cases, this works just fine.
29 Ciaran McCreesh