From: Ian Smith <ian.c.smith@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] A painless kernel update for dialup users _and_ everyone else
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:59:37
1 This is (hopefully) a drop-in replacement for the latest kernel ebuild.
2 I've merged it on my system. Those who want to use 2.4.0 + patches
3 need to do _either_:
4
5 put their existing kernel + patches into the distfiles area so they will
6 be used, _or_ type:
7
8 > /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.4.0.tar.bz2
9
10 to trigger a download of the kernel + patches. In either case it will
11 be necessary to generate a digest in the usual way.
12
13 It's OK to keep all your patches in the distfiles area, the inbuilt
14 patch program will know when to stop from the ebuild variables. So this
15 should work for the headers as well.
16
17 This little deviation should all be transparent to those with more
18 bandwidth than sense who want to stress out the kernel mirrors every
19 time there is an upgrade ;)
20
21 Comments welcome, positive or negative, I don't mind (just make damn
22 sure you are right if you decide to criticise [g]).
26 Ian Smith

linux-sources-2.4.19-r1.ebuild text/plain