From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:25:54
1 On 09/19/2011 13:36, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 06:37:49AM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
4 >> On 09/19/2011 05:10, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Could we stop putting random stuff in random dirs because 'it will
8 >>> work'? /etc is _SYSCONFDIR_. I don't see how PCI IDs are config at all.
11 >> The best answer is for someone to look into udev and see what it needs
12 >> exactly from /usr. Does it really need pci.ids? Or is it just the fact
13 >> that random udev rules might rely on a tool/lib in /usr?
14 >
15 > Oh come on people, please do some basic research and read what has been
16 > posted about this numerous times in the past instead of just guessing.
19 I'll admit that I do need to read more. But it seems this discussion goes
20 back a few months and there's no clear starting point on what began this. I
21 don't always have time to keep tabs on every diverging trend in the Linux
22 world, so I missed this back when it started. Any references you can point
23 me to?
26 > And for those udev/systemd haters, you all do know about devtmpfs,
27 > right? If not, {sigh}, I don't even know why I care anymore...
28
29 I'm not a hater of systemd or udev. I just don't use systemd, because basic
30 init and the OpenRC setup work for my installs. Maybe not everyone's, so
31 systemd (and others) fill those gaps.
32
33 With udev, I don't pay a lot of attention to it -- it JustWorks(TM). No
34 need to really fiddle with something that isn't broken.
37 Joshua Kinard
38 Gentoo/MIPS
39 kumba@g.o
40 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
41
42 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
43 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
44
45 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic