From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] All profile directories going EAPI=5
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:56:16
1 Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 > > in its last session the Gentoo council decided that 30 days from now the
4 > > entire profile tree will be updated to require EAPI=5 support.
5 ..
6 > > If you are running an installation that has not been updated for more than a
7 > > year, you have to update your portage version to current stable now, and
8 > > afterwards switch to a non-deprecated profile.
9 >
10 > I am 100% behind this idea and the council's decision, HOWEVER, I feel
11 > the most responsible way to transition would be to include a nice
12 > compressed "just before switch" portage snapshot. A news item could be
13 > drafted, that is shown to all users of portage versions which do not
14 > support eapi5 which directs them to the snapshot which they may need to
15 > use to successfully upgrade their systems.
16 >
17 > I see exactly zero downside to doing this, so if whoever is going to
18 > actually do the editing of the profiles would like to work with me (to
19 > give me warning), I think I can manage the rest.
20
21 Excellent idea, and I'd just like to say "thanks muchly" on behalf of
22 some of those future users (i see a few of them from time to time, using
23 update, and this will make it much easier to support them, so on my
24 own behalf too.)
25
26 Regards,
27 steveL
28 --
29 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)