From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: euscan GSoC project - requesting feedback
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:34:19
1 Kent Fredric posted on Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:07:58 +1200 as excerpted:
2
3 > For the most part it seems to get upstream / portage versioning right,
4 > but occasionally you get miss-matches for some reason.
5 >
6 > It would be nice to allow to provide some mapping mechanism that existed
7 > on the overlay itself to inform euscan how to map upstream versions to
8 > downstream ones, but implementing that would be far too complex I feel.
9 >
10 > Instead, it would be nice to have a mechanism in the interface to set a
11 > "Upstream version is" value for each package if euscan can't tell.
12 >
13 > Ie:
14 >
15 > http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/HTML-TreeBuilder-LibXML/
16 >
17 > Upstream is 0.71 , portage is ( normalised ) to 0.710.0 , and these are
18 > in fact the same version. So in 0.710.0 , it would be nice to be able to
19 > set the upstream version manually to 0.71 so that euscan no longer
20 > reported it as outdated.
21
22 What about a simple variable that can be set in the ebuild? Say for the
23 above example something like:
24
25 EUSCAN_VERSION=0.71
26
27 I don't know how difficult that would be for euscan to pickup on, but
28 since this would have no bearing on actual package behavior, only on
29 euscan, I'd guess it shouldn't require going thru the formal PMS process,
30 tho specifying it well enough to know whether it can be a function or
31 must be a straight variable assignment, etc, as well as whether quotes
32 are required or not, would be useful, and that's normally part of the PMS
33 process so at least getting input from them would be useful.
34
35 Alternatively, define some formula that can be placed in the package's
36 metadata.xml. That's perhaps a better functionality match (we're talking
37 about metadata, after all), but getting a formula that can deal with all
38 the corner-cases is likely to be more difficult (and take longer) than
39 simply specifying a variable to be defined for each ebuild that euscan
40 can't immediately get correct.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman