From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 02:36:11
1 On 15/02/2012 12:22, Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:58:52PM +0100, Francesco R.(vivo) wrote:
3 >> as subject says could gentoo change the policy and set an UTF-8 environment by
4 >> default?
5
6 Perhaps it should define LANG="en_US.UTF-8" as a reasonable default,
7 which would be in line with other notable distros. Arch also used to
8 define LC_COLLATE="C" by default, probably to mitigate unpredictable
9 behaviour in some applications, but have since dropped this additional
10 variable so they must have deemed it no longer necessary.
11
12 I think that having a default configuration file would also raise
13 awareness of the importance of locale configuration and make it less
14 likely that users configure their systems inappropriately (defining
15 LC_ALL, for instance).
16
17 >> P.S. would be nice to have a wd_WD.UTF-8 with WD standing for world, just a
18 >> country is so 1900
19
20 Different countries/regions have different standards and conventions for
21 character classification, case conversion, date/numerical/currency
22 formatting etc. There's no basis on which to formally standardise a
23 world-wide definition.
27 > However, the stage 3, last time I used it, didn't default to a UTF-8
28 > environment, and it didn't default to using and/or including a capable
29 > UTF-8 font. It is something I think we should look at changing.
32 Yet "unicode" is a default flag in the standard profiles. Most console
33 fonts have poor coverage. The best one I've found thus far is
34 "LatCyrGr-16" from fonty-rg, which provides good Latin and Cyrillic
35 coverage along with some Greek and esoteric punctuation characters.
36 Using this font, I've yet to find any developer's name that doesn't
37 render as expected while perusing the contents of the portage tree.
38
39 Being a 512 character font, one loses bold support unless using a
40 framebuffer console. Given that the default console fonts aren't
41 especially useful, it seems a small price to pay.
42
43 --Kerin