From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: infra@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CA-certified SSL
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:11:05
1 On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > My knee-jerk reaction is that your browser has a bug. It thinks that
3 > it is appropriate to sound alarms for unauthenticated SSL connections
4 > but not for unauthenticated non-SSL connections. A workaround is to
5 > emerge ca-certificates.
6 >
7 > That said, I do understand your concerns (my pet peeves with the CA
8 > infrastructure and modern browsers notwithstanding).
9
10 I understand your concerns as well, but I think practicality should
11 win over purity here.
12
13 > I'm sure the trustees would be interested as long as this was aligned
14 > with infra. I'd reach out to them first and work out a plan - paying
15 > for it is likely to not be a big issue (and we've had offers of
16 > donated certificates as well).
17
18 I'm sure some infra people read this list, but I'll CC them here just
19 to be sure.
20
21 Cheers,
22