From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: stuart@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mysql-bin ebuild
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:28:04
1 Stuart Herbert ha scritto:
2
3 >On Tuesday 22 February 2005 12:55, Francesco Riosa wrote:
4 >
5 >>After some testing on MySQL ebuild for version 4.1.x and 5.0.x appear to
6 >>me that is very difficult have a stable version of those databases with
7 >>current glibc, gcc and maybe os-headers stable defaults (at least on x86
8 >>and amd64).
9 >>
10 >>Adding a dev-db/mysql-bin package seems the only short-term viable
11 >>solution to have those versions of mysql in portage tree.
14 >What is broken w/ the current stable glibc & gcc?
15 >
16 >Best regards,
17 >Stu
18 >
19 The compiled sources from have problems with both ssl and ndbcluster,
20 logs at [1], description of at [2], running the mysql bundled tests show
21 various problems, from segfaults to hanging.
22 On the same systems, running the MySQL compiled sources goes well.
23 Saying that the problem is given from glibc, gcc and os-headers may be a
24 limited point of view, because MySQL server and libraryes link against
25 zlib, ncurses, readline, tcpwrappers, openssl too.
26 Anyway it's motived from bugs at [3] and seems to be not limited to 4.1
27 and 5.0 series that I've tested.
28 The problems seems limited to the server because running a binary
29 version from MySQL and connecting from a client built from my ebuilds
30 goes fine.
31
32 I hope that Jeff Smelser is right saying that it's only a problem of
33 mine, if so the need of a mysql-bin ebuild is drastically reduced ;)
34
35 [1] http://www.francesco-riosa.com/gentoo/old/logs/
36 [2] http://www.francesco-riosa.com/gentoo/old/logs/00README.txt
37 [3] http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=7851