From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-java/oracle-{jre,jdk}-bin
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 03:00:36
1 On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:31:42 PM PDT Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:35 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
3 wrote:
4 > > # Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> (17 Apr 2019)
5 > > # The Oracle JDK License has changed for releases starting April 16, 2019
6 > > # While it may be fine to use for some usecases it's not comepletely clear
7 > > # what is considered "personal use" and if we can legally distribute it.
8 > > # License states:
9 > > # "You may not:
10 > > # make the Programs available in any manner to any third party"
11 >
12 > I don't agree with your rationale here.
13 >
14 > Gentoo does not distribute the JDK due to RESTRICT="fetch mirror" in
15 > the ebuild, so Oracle's license has no relevance.
16 >
17 > Oracle cannot prohibit us from distributing a shell script that moves
18 > some files around. That liability is on the user who runs it.
19 >
20 > We cannot force you to continue maintaining this package, but I think
21 > we should have a better reason for masking/removing it. If you cannot
22 > provide one, please just drop this to maintainer-needed.
23
24 I've modified the mask for now, but I still believe we should drop it.
25 I do not maintain it at all, I only work on openjdk and a bit of icedtea.
26
27 For a while[1] we've been modifying provided jar:
28
29 zip -d jre/lib/rt.jar sun/misc/PostVMInitHook.class || die
30
31 but license[2] states that
32
33 "You may not:
34 ...
35 make the Programs available in any manner to any third party
36 ...
37 create, modify, or change the behavior of, classes, interfaces, or
38 subpackages that are in any way identified as "java", "javax", "sun", “oracle”
39 or similar convention as specified by Oracle in any naming convention
40 designation.
41
42 "
43
44 Is it even legal?
45
46 Java usage tracker will fail due to sandbox during builds.
47
48 while writing this email I found out it's probably possible to disable it with
49 com.oracle.usagetracker.track.last.usage=false
50 in
51 /etc/oracle/java/usagetracker.properties
52
53 need to test it
54
55 [1]https://bugs.gentoo.org/559936