From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] inherit nowarn
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:28:20
1 well, this is a little RFC...
2
3 Since (according to the gcc FAQ, and "common sense" ) the flags -Wall
4 and other extra warnings, pedantic and so on would requires more
5 time/output to work, I'm suggesting a simple(?) eclass to recursively
6 parse a source tree, match all "Makefile" and "makefile" and strip out
7 extra warning flags from them.
8
9 Why? Simple speed/convenience in many cases.
10 Example, mozilla currently does a loooot of bad warnings due to gcc 3.1
11 incompabilities (deprecated headers)
12
13 that sort of thing could be fixed with a "inherit nowarn" and
14 "strip_warnings()"
15
16 quoting gcc faq:
17
18 Note that using -pedantic or -Wreturn-type can cause an explosion in
19 the amount of memory needed for template-heavy C++ code, such as
20 code
21 that uses STL. Also note that -Wall includes -Wreturn-type, so if
22 you
23 use -Wall you will need to specify -Wno-return-type to turn it off.
24
25 one way would be to add "-Wnoall" (not sure aobut this) and others would
26 be to simply match "pedantic" "Wall" "Wdeprecated" and add a
27 "Wno-deprecated" to kill all warnings.
28
29 ideas on this approach please?
30
31 //Spider
36 begin .signature
37 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
39 end