From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage and full devices.
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:36:01
1 the last few times my /usr has gone full while merging a package
2 portage has done two things that scare me a bit:
3
4 1) portage has done partial installs, parts of the package made it
5 to the device, other parts of the package, didn't.
6 2) the package gets listed as installed.
7
8 are there any plans on fixing this anytime soon? the solution is,
9 as far as I can see, to check the size of the build-tree and see if
10 there is enough space on the target device for the install to go
11 through. it does get tricky if the user uses symlinks or seperate
12 partitions under the target root though. one would probably have to
13 check every directory the build-tree would install to, and mapping
14 disk usage against the device that directory is on. something like:
15
16 we're going to install as follows:
17
18 /usr/bin 2M
19 /usr/lib 2M
20 /usr/share 10M
21
22 portage checks which device all of these are on, and gets told that
23 /usr/bin and /usr/lib are on the same device (let's say /dev/hda3
24 for short), but that /usr/share is somewhere else. then we need 4M
25 on /dev/hda3 and 10M where /usr/share is located. does this sound
26 doable?
29 Terje