From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 22:07:33
1 On 12/5/2019 09:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It's quite another to mask random packages that have USE flags to
5 >> optionally support whatever python 2.7 library. If you're going to
6 >> last rites these, talk with the maintainer first, and only then, send
7 >> emails one at a time. Doing that en masse isn't appropriate.
8 >
9 > ++ - I have no idea if that happened. For anything USE-controlled it
10 > would make more sense to file a bug or mask the package-flag combo
11 > itself.
14 >> On another topic, I'd prefer for python 2.7 not to be removed from
15 >> gentoo. Tons of code still uses it.
18 > I'm sure a million people would share that preference. I'm not sure
19 > what the upstream/security status is of 2.7. Obviously to keep it
20 > around it would need to be reasonably secure, and somebody within
21 > Gentoo would have to want to maintain it. That's basically the
22 > criteria for keeping anything like this around. If somebody stepped
23 > up and said "I'm maintaining 2.7 and here is why it will remain
24 > secure..." I doubt they'd get a lot of resistance.
27 I'm late to the party as usual. Seems upstream plans a final 2.7.18
28 security update in April of 2020, then they will consider the 2.7 branch
29 EOL. They say most of these updates were done in 2019, and so are still
30 technically sticking to their mantra of no more updates after 01/01/2020.
31
32 PEP 373 covers this:
33 https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#release-schedule
34
35 """
36 Planned future release dates:
37
38 2.7.18 code freeze January, 2020
39 2.7.18 release candidate early April, 2020
40 2.7.18 mid-April, 2020
41 """
42
43 IMHO, I think we should retain 2.7.x compatibility for 1 year AFTER the
44 release of 2.7.18. This provides some time for people to transition systems
45 off of 2.7-dependent packages.
46
47 It might be worthwhile to treat the removal of Python-2.7 from the tree in
48 the same manner as an EAPI deprecation and removal, given how ingrained it
49 is due to its longevity. That will minimize the whiplash-effect of emerge
50 complaining about slot conflicts and dependency conflicts. Like I just ran
51 into w/ setuptools-45.0.0.0's release.
54 Joshua Kinard
55 Gentoo/MIPS
56 kumba@g.o
57 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
58 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
59
60 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
61 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
62
63 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic