From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:56:10
1 On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:30:39 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 12/08/15 11:08 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
8 > >>>>>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015, Alexis Ballier wrote:
9 > >
10 > >> i.e. something that really tells the PM how to automate the
11 > >> choice: - 'qt5 -> !qt4' is rather straightforward to solve and
12 > >> tells the PM how (note that it is not equivalent to 'qt4 ->
13 > >> !qt5') - '^^ ( qt5 qt4 )' requires the PM to make a choice in
14 > >> order to automate it
15 > >
16 > > I was thinking about some syntax like this:
17 > >
18 > > REQUIRED_USE="|| ( +foo bar ) ^^ ( +qt5 -qt4 )"
19 > >
20 > > The package manager would first evaluate each group in
21 > > REQUIRED_USE with the original set of USE flags. If that doesn't
22 > > evaluate to true, retry with flags changed as indicated by the +
23 > > and - signs.
24 > >
25 > > Ulrich
28 > Having the ability for REQUIRED_USE to provide a default resolution
29 > path should definitely help with things; I assume this is meant to
30 > do its work via --autounmask-write or similar, ie to help users
31 > adjust their config files? Or was the thought to allow PMs to
32 > override USE immediately?
35 I think it is better seen as a list of implications, esp. for this kind
36 of questions :)
37 With that in mind, there is no autounmask-write: effective USE for a
38 given package is input USE with these implications applied.
39
40 > Questions:
41 >
42 > 1 - how does +foo in REQUIRED_USE relate to use-defaults set in IUSE?
43
44 This questions remains. I see use-defaults in IUSE as part of "input
45 USE" above.
48 [...]
49 > 3 - will having REQUIRED_USE be able to force flags on (and others
50 > off) likely result in abuse of profiles and other use defaults? I
51 > forsee this being a way, for instance, for a dev to get around users
52 > setting USE="-*" in make.conf to ensure a default use flag setting
53 > is honoured.
54
55 How?
56
57 > 4 - Will a change to which flag the '+' is on likely to require a
58 > revbump for VDB updates? For something like '^^ ( +qt4 qt5 )' I
59 > could see maintainers wanting to switch which flag is default across
60 > a bunch of packages at once when, say, the qt team wants qt5 to
61 > become the de-facto default.
62
63 It'll "require" a rebuild for those whose default changes anyway. I'd
64 say no revbump since we don't revbump all affected packages when we add
65 default enabled flags to make.defaults.
68 Alexis.