From: Chris Frey <cdfrey@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using stow inside portage
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:50:23
1 On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 05:14:14PM +1000, Andrew Ross wrote:
2 > Are you talking about this (http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html)?
3
4 Yep, exactly.
5
6 > I agree with vapier that an eclass would be the best way to implement
7 > stow support. However, optional eclass inheritence makes DEPEND and IUSE
8 > dynamic, which, IIRC, is currently a big no-no.
9
10 Ok, haven't heard of an eclass, so will have to read up.
11
12 > > This would allow people to maintain different versions of the same
13 > > application on their systems at the same time. Just stow/unstow at will
14 > > to switch.
15 >
16 > Isn't that the purpose of SLOTs?
17
18 Yes, and that's how some of the gcc's are done. Unfortunately, slots seem
19 to require developer resources to make work, and therefore aren't done
20 on a consistent basis. I.e. not all of the gcc's are slot-enabled, let
21 alone KDE or Gnome or mozilla, etc.
22
23 I figured this would be an architecture variable, and would require much
24 less developer effort, and be pretty much system-wide.
25
26 Thanks for the reply!
27 - Chris
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list