From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: kensington@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 20:49:15
1 On 12 August 2015 at 16:21, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Can't we all (except for the usual suspect) just agree that REQUIRED_USE
4 > was a mistake, and go back to pkg_pretend? The only justification for
5 > REQUIRED_USE was that it could allegedly be used in an automated
6 > fashion, and this hasn't happened.
9 I think such a proposal needs to be tested on places where it is used
10 heavily, for instance, python modules where REQUIRED_USE is employed
11 extensively, which could mean a significant number of pkg_pretend
12 phases executing, which *could* be more expensive than the equivalent
13 static dependency code.
14
15 ( And it could be required that python eclass consumers would all have
16 to provide a pkg_pretend() even if they didn't need required_use
17 behaviour )
18
19 I'm not saying it *is*, but a side by side comparison of real-world
20 problems there would be important.
21
22 ( Maybe the complex dependency resolver stuff is much slower, hard to tell )
26 Kent
27
28 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL