From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: turning off a default compile option
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:18:18
1 Greg KH posted <20040705200509.GB18900@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:05:09 -0700:
3
4 > On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:33:34AM -0700, Duncan wrote:
5 >> That's not a sufficient test. Mainline 2.6 kernels have standard Linux
6 >> security capabilities broken out into their own module, now. Thus, it
7 >> can be compiled in as traditional, compiled as a module (my
8 >> configuration, with it specifically loaded at boot, since the kernel
9 >> isn't smart enough to auto-load it on its own, yet)
10 >
11 > And how would you expect such a "auto-load" system to work for the
12 > capabilities module?
13
14 I really don't know. I really don't know how the kernel knows to load a
15 LOT of the modules, but it does.
16
17 Here's what I'd /suppose/.
18
19 When BIND for instance attempted to load, and asked for a (generic)
20 capacity not present in the kernel, instead of the kernel simply saying
21 that capacity (generic sense, altho in this case it applies to the
22 capacities module, specifically, as well) isn't available, it would check
23 for the module in the standard location, and load it if it found it, then
24 supply the requested (generic) capacity.
25
26 Of course, from my simple viewpoint, that's no different than what
27 happens now, when a (generic) capacity from one of the auto-loading
28 modules is requested, causing it to be "auto-magically" loaded.
29 Obviously, I'm missing something, but I'm not sure exactly what. All I
30 know is that Capabilities can be modulized, now, but the first time I
31 tried it (on Mandrake, which I'm switching from), BIND had a fit, so I had
32 to go put it on the list to load specifically.
33
34 BTW, thanks for the reply. It's been interesting at times, watching
35 people respond to your posts, not having /any/ idea that you ARE one of
36 the kernel developers, indeed, UDEV wouldn't be the same without you. <g>
37 You don't wear it on your sleeve, or in a sig, like some would, and your
38 name doesn't quite stand out like "Linus" would. =:^)
39
40 (There's an interesting object lesson in studying the pictures of, say,
41 Bill Gates when he had that pie thrown at him, against, say, Linus sitting
42 on the dunk tank board. That ordinary user availability is one reason I'm
43 here and no longer on an MS platform. I'd consider the fact that you
44 don't find it necessary to put your kernel connections in your sig, a
45 similar mark of humbleness and availability to the ordinary user, tho
46 others may simply find it confusing.)
50 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
51 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
52 Benjamin Franklin
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list