From: Thomas Cort <linuxgeek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:19:07
1 > One of the bigger problems is that we have a huge user
2 > community who are keen on contributing, but we have such
3 > a high barrier for entry to the developer community.
4
5 There are the arch tester[1] projects (x86, amd64, ppc, alpha (soon),
6 and maybe others). Those lower the barrier a lot while still requiring
7 some level of knowledge (passing the ebuild quiz). A lot of ATs
8 eventually become devs. Maybe the various AT projects could be
9 advertised more, like the x86 AT team was this week in GWN[2].
10
11 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/arch-testers-faq.xml#whoat
12 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060320-newsletter.xml
13