From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP23: Portage handling of ACCEPT_LICENSE
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:49:19
1 On Wednesday 10 March 2004 13:29, Paul Varner wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 21:47, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:17, Paul Varner wrote:
4 > > > The only thing that I didn't see addressed that hasn't been commented
5 > > > upon is I would like to see the ability to have user defined license
6 > > > groups added.
7 > >
8 > > I'm not wholly against the idea, but of what use would they be? To be
9 > > more specific, what's the difference between a user specifying licenses
10 > > in a group and referencing it from make.conf and just specifying them in
11 > > make.conf?
12 >
13 > The lines I was thinking of were for someone that had their own concept
14 > of what "Free" licenses they would accept being able to create a file of
15 > some sort that defined exactly what they wanted and then referencing
16 > that group from the make.conf file. I personally find it easier to use
17 > a separate file for something that can take more than a single line of
18 > text, than to edit it in the make.conf.
19
20 Okay, this makes sense. Especially when looking at it from a business point of
21 view where there are several (100s?) of machines to manage.
22
23 > Although in writing this, maybe I should take the code for ufed and modify
24 > it to work with the ACCEPT_LICENSE and call it alfed :)
25
26 Brian Harring is already looking into doing this. :) I decided to leave it out
27 of the GLEP as it is an additional component rather than integral
28 functionality.
29
30 Regards,
31 Jason Stubbs