From: Kevin Gordon <kgordon@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Third try with build -r14
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:17:12
1 Hi,
2 I am trying to understand where I am at fault installing build -r14.
3 (1) I firstly installed a kernel with "/dev/pts file system for Unix 98
4 PTYs" enabled. In Daniel's IBM notes re Advanced File Systems he states to
5 disable this. Your install notes for build -r14 cover all items listed by
6 Daniel but fail to note this item should be disabled. Having this item
7 enabled and devfs active, would this be fatal? Could it cause the boot
8 process to fail (see previous emails re emerge update).
9
10 (2) While installing ppp I used "# mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0". Is this ok in a
11 devfs system? Could it cause the boot process to fail ?
12
13 (3) I have previously stopped part way through the build -r14 install
14 process and noticed during "# exit" "umount /mnt/gentoo/boot; umount
15 /mnt/gentoo; reboot" that the / parition did not un-mount. Daniel's article
16 suggests "umount -r /mnt/gentoo" to place / in a ro state before rebooting.
17 Could it cause the next boot process to fail ?
18
19 (4) My most recent problem: (see email emerge update)
20 I get a loop repeating "Caching service dependencies"
21 Did a control-C
22 Get "rm: cannot unlink './pppd.tdb' : read-only file system"
23 Hangs on "Initializing random number generator"
24 One of my "emerge update" processed baselayout-1.6.9 and also glibc. Are any
25 current problems with glibc which could corrupt my system?
28 Your help would be appreciated.
29
30 Kevin.