From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:03:56
1 On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 07:40 -0400, Kari Hazzard wrote:
2 > On Thursday 05 October 2006 10:48 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > What about *our* choice to not waste time building things we don't want?
4 >
5 > So what about those of us who DO want that? Forcing us into an installer is
6 > more constricting and gives us less freedom--That's not the Gentoo way.
7
8 Start building...
9
10 > "If the tool forces the user to do things a particular way, then the tool is
11 > working against, rather than for, the user. We have all experienced
12 > situations where tools seem to be imposing their respective wills on us. This
13 > is backwards, and contrary to the Gentoo philosophy." - Daniel Robbins
14
15 That's nice.
16
17 Nobody is forcing you to use the Installer. Nobody is forcing you to
18 even use Gentoo release media to do your installations. Your "point"
19 here is a complete non-point.
20
21 You're completely welcome to take the minimal CD, a stage3 tarball, and
22 wget and build your own Universal CD. You're also more than welcome to
23 fire up catalyst and build a Universal CD yourself. What you are *not*
24 welcome to do is try to tell me how I'm going to spend the time that I
25 volunteer to Gentoo. Now, if you would like to hire me to build a
26 Universal CD, then contact me and we can discuss my compensation.
27 Otherwise, I have more important things (to me) to spend my time doing.
28
29 > > See, what *you* seem to be missing is that we're trying to provide a
30 > > better environment for our users. The LiveCD is *not* just an
31 > > installation medium anymore. It is a full-fledged Gentoo environment.
32 > > It can be used for showcasing Gentoo, as well as system recovery *and*
33 > > installation.
34 >
35 > There's a thing called self-reference criteria. It's anathema in marketing. If
36 > you think you know what is best for your users, you will all of your users
37 > and thus most of your employees. Your users know what is best for them, *not*
38 > you, as you are not a user (whether you have it installed on your desktop
39 > notwithstanding you are *not* a user). If your users still want a Universal
40 > LiveCD, then the onus is on Gentoo to provide one.
41
42 I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this one.
43
44 Release Engineering has a constant problem of not having enough help.
45 Now some people want to try to tell us that we need to do more work just
46 because they don't like a little change. Well guess what, never going
47 to happen.
48
49 It's pretty simple. So long as we have limited resources, we're going
50 to spend our limited time on what *we* want to spend time doing.
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
55 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
56 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
57 Gentoo Foundation