From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 23:57:35
1 Hi Rich,
2
3 On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 06:22:17PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
7 > > systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
8 > > That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.
9 > >
10 > > I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the road
11 > > to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.
12 >
13 > So, I really could care less what the default is since it won't impact
14 > any of my Gentoo hosts either way, but this seems like a silly reason
15 > to base the decision on. IMO it was paranoid years ago when people
16 > first brought it up. Now it is even moreso considering that years
17 > have elapsed without any grand systemd conspiracy being revealed. If
18 > their goal was to make it impossible to use udev on its own just to
19 > mess with the 0.01% of Linux users who don't use systemd but do use
20 > (e)udev, I'd think they'd have gotten around to it by now, or at least
21 > they would still be talking about it.
22
23 I couldn't agree with you more on this point. I think if they were
24 going to make udev impossible to use without systemd they would have
25 gotten around to that by now. And, yes, the fear of this was the
26 primary reason for the switch when the council voted to change it.
27
28 > William - can you actually elaborate on WHY you want to change things?
29 > Is there some problem with eudev? Is it actively maintained and
30 > generally tracking upstream udev commits (minus whatever they
31 > intentionally don't want to accept)?
32
33 It is maintained primarily by one person the last time I checked, and I
34 don't really know what he has included or not included from udev. What
35 I can say is that the last release of eudev hit the tree a year ago,
36 and I'm not sure about feature parity with udev.
37
38 > I'd be curious as to a list of the practical differences between the
39 > two at this point. For the longest time the only ones I was aware of
40 > were the de-bundled build system, and the change in the default
41 > persistent ethernet device name rule which was made in udev but not
42 > made (by default) in eudev. Perhaps at this point there are other
43 > differences.
44
45 The only other one I know of is if you aren't using glibc udev will not
46 compile, but I'm not even sure that is an issue still.
47
48 The way I see it, we switched away from udev because of a fear that
49 never materialized, and I'm not convinced that we have enough time to
50 keep it in feature parity with udev which it needs to be to be the
51 default provider.
52
53 I am going to echo again. I am not talking about removing eudev from the
54 tree, so you would be able to use it if you want. I'm just suggesting
55 that we should start new systems out with udev.
56
57 William