From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] REQUIRED_USE, global USE flags, user-friendliness...
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 12:45:06
1 On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why? It’s just another dependency. Why does DEPEND="dev-libs/bar" work
4 > so beautifully but DEPEND="dev-libs/bar[baz]" work so horribly? If I
5 > haven’t explicitly said I want baz, and I haven’t explicitly said I
6 > *don’t* want baz, and enabling baz doesn’t conflict with any other
7 > packages I have installed, Portage should just rebuild dev-libs/bar
8 > with USE=+baz. If I eventually uninstall app-cat/foo, something like
9 > depclean should reinstall dev-libs/bar with USE=-baz. Just like all the
10 > other dependencies, if I don’t care to make a manual choice, it should
11 > be automatic and dynamic.
12
13 Yup:
14