From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 18:30:01
1 On Sex, 2010-03-05 at 19:03 +0100, Dawid Węgliński wrote:
2 > On Friday 05 March 2010 17:12:23 Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > > That's not a new install as per the handbook. Neither are you a new
6 > > user as you have a premade make.conf and world file and some experience
7 > > with Gentoo.
8 > >
9 > > Put yourself in the place of a brand new Gentoo user doing his/her
10 > > first install.
11 > >
12 > > It needs to just work out of the box, one way or another, without
13 > > forums posts or calls for help in #gentoo about circular dependences.
14 > > That's not just cups - thats all circular dependencies.
15 >
16 > Brand new gentoo user goes throu handbook -> reads "set up USE variables in
17 > make.conf" and does it according to his/her needs following use.*.desc. If
18 > gentoo was new to me i *would* enter cups as i use printers often at work.
21 +1
22
23 Most people trying Gentoo already had some history with other Linux
24 distros. So, I'm sure they will recognize the cups USE flag when they
25 see it. Most everyone I know also have a printer (some with a pile of
26 dust on it) so I think most of people will enable that USE flag anyway.
27 --
28 Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
29 Gentoo Embedded/OMAP850 Developer
30 Linwizard Developer