From: Heiko Vogel <haaner@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [IMPORTANT] server/client USE flags
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:50:23
1 Donny Davies wrote:
2 > Hi Marius
3 >
4 > On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:20:17AM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > [...]
6 > >So my idea (as well as others) is to add a new "server" USE flag that
7 > >controls wether the server part of a package is build. This idea is
8 > >outlined in more details on bug 12499, which also had the idea of a
9 > >"client" USE flag, so that it's possible to only build the libs or only
10 > >the server, however I think that such a flag will create more problems
11 > >than benefits (see the bug for explanations).
12 >
13 > I do not support this. Debian's SAMBA has at least subpackages for
14 > - common
15 > - doc
16 > - smbclient
17 > - winbind
18 > - swat
19 > - smbfs
20 > - python
21 > - pam
22 >
23 > which is nuts. Users dont know what to install to get what they need.
24
25 Absolutely agreed -- I hate the Debian-way too!
26
27 > I recall looking at mod_php (or maybe it was php) subpackages for another
28 > distribution, and there were _dozens_ of them. Insane in the membrane.
29 >
30 > I like the way Gentoo traditionally works; you emerge something and you
31 > get it all, with some knobs to control build-time dependencies.
32
33 I share this opinion -- if a freak really doesn't like the
34 server/client parts of a package he should be cute enough to wipe it
35 out manually.
36 But a newbie who just wants Samba/MySQL to be installed will probably
37 trial-and-error for hours until he finds out that certain parts of the
38 package he wanted are distributed in other packages.
39
40 > Further, you are overloading the intended function of USE variables.
41 > Instead of controlling optional build-time functionality, now you
42 > are abusing them to control optional install-time bits.
43
44 Absolutely right ...
45
46 > It is not natural to stop at "client" and "server" flags either.
47 > What about "dev" for .a and .h things? This is really going down
48 > the slipperly slope in my opinion.
49
50 Leave it as it is --
51 Do it the Gentoo way AND NOT the Debian/SuSE way!
52
53 greetz,
54 haaner