From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 19:56:30
1 On 9 August 2014 07:34, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2
3 > ebuilds often (for me) have artificial dependencies, when the actual
4 > version required is too old to be in the tree, but maybe not too old
5 > to be installed on an existing system.
9 The inverse is also true, sometimes you see people go:
10
11 "Well, upstream requires Foo 1.5 at least, but we have 2.0 as the oldest in
12 tree,
13 so we can just say dev-whatever/Foo and be done with it"
14
15 Which turns out to be horribly wrong if somebody still has Foo 1.4
16 installed, for whatever reason.
17
18 And this is just one reason why being excessively lazy about what you
19 upgrade could be secretly detrimental.
23 Kent
24
25 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL