From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: trimming the @system set [was: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:36:53
1 J. Roeleveld posted on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:08:56 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 >> The vi and emacs camps agreeing on something? Impossible!
4 >
5 > I think both camps do the following:
6 > emerge <preferred editor>
7 > emerge -C nano as one of the first steps.
8 >
9 > The first thing I do on a new install as soon as a portage tree is
10 > available is run the above.
11
12 FWIW I keep both my preferred editor (MC, FWIW) and nano installed.
13
14 That way I have a backup if my preferred fails to start (as it does from
15 time to time if I'm rebuilding deps), and I don't end up having to use a
16 pager and sed in place of a proper interactive editor, as I did at one
17 point many years ago on a different distro. (It probably had vim-minimal
18 or some such, but I was still young on Linux at that point and didn't
19 know what to look for. Fortunately I had a dead-tree copy of Linux in a
20 Nutshell around, with an appendix on sed that I could refer to...)
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman