From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:59:03
1 On Thursday 01 September 2005 01:39 pm, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > > I hope this not. As (iirc) I already said, it's impossible to combine x86
3 > > with anything else that's not 100% source and binary compatible with
4 > > itself... The reason is actually simple: x86 is, or at least was, the
5 > > reference architecture for almost all programmers.
6 >
7 > Witih amd64 becoming so widespread, this will change.
8
9 will != now
10
11 maybe down the road i'd be for this, but right now i think it's just a waste
12 of time ... too many packages suck at life ... just yesterday i fixed a new
13 release (made in the last month) of a package which loved to cast pointers to
14 'int' and then try to use the result
15 -mike
16 --
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list