From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:43:02
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:48:16AM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2 > I am unsure if that does or could solve the problem why GLEP 62 was
3 > created, meaning... would enabling the "foo" useflag after the package
4 > has been emerged trigger a remerge in the following example?
5 >
6 > DEPENDENCIES="
7 > dep:run? (
8 > foo? ( dev-libs/foobar )
9 > )"
10
11 Just transfering over the discussion from IRC, tbh hadn't thought
12 about it till you mentioned it since it has some potential flaws
13 that aren't necessarily recoverable.
14
15 Specifically, what happens if to enable dev-libs/foobar support,
16 something has to be done at build time? Think about a systemd use
17 flag, where the script just installs some configuration for systemd;
18 that's not toggable.
19
20 It's not obvious till you trace the implications through, but w/
21 those issues what you wind up with at that point is trying to
22 classify use flags, ala glep62; see the past complete-ass-ripping of
23 that proposal for why it doesn't fly.
24
25 Just adding another; ebuild devs are completely up shit creek if the
26 flag induces a build time effect in one spot, and controls optional
27 deps in another section of the dep tree.
28
29 If someone sees a way to make that work, have at it, although to be
30 clear any such notion I'm intentionally leaving out of my proposal
31 since I don't see a way to do it without an explicit dep labeling.
32
33 ~harring