From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] NEWS: 2022-10-30-lvm2-default-USE-flags
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:33:27
1 Title: LVM2 default USE flag change
2 Author: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
3 Posted: 2022-10-30
4 Revision: 1
5 News-Item-Format: 2.0
6 Display-If-Installed: sys-fs/lvm2
7
8 The Gentoo Base System team has recently switched from the disabling
9 "device-mapper-only" flag to the enabling "lvm" (bug #718910).
10
11 After considering most reverse dependencies of sys-fs/lvm2, the Base System Team
12 has decided that the majority of Gentoo users are unlikely to use the LVM2
13 components of sys-fs/lvm2, instead relying solely on it providing device-mapper
14 functionality.
15
16 To this end, we will disable the default enabled flag "+lvm" on sys-fs/lvm2
17 on 2023-01-01. If you do not have USE=lvm somehow globally enabled, this means
18 you will lose LVM2 (but not device-mapper!) functionality, so enable it in your
19 config if your boot configuration depends on it or if you depend on any of the
20 lvm2-* daemons.
21
22 Furthermore, we have considered other default enabled USE flags too, and have
23 come to the conclusion that USE=+thin makes even less sense than USE=+lvm.
24 Thin-provisioned LVM volumes are an important use case in certain VM hosting
25 scenarios, but unlikely to be relevant for the large majority of Gentoo users.
26
27 In summary:
28 - Enable USE="lvm" if you use lvm2 (but not needed for device-mapper) as described above.
29 - Enable USE="lvm thin" if you use thin as described above.
30 - If you don't know what LVM2 is, you don't need to take any action.