From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: an eclass for github snapshots?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 06:28:38

Right now, a quick 'grep -l github.*tarball' shows that there are about
147 ebuilds in portage using github snapshots. This evaluates to 83
different packages.

The problem with github is that it suffixes the tarballs with
a complete git commit id. This means that the `S' variable
in the ebuild needs to refer to a long hash changing randomly. Right
now, the problem is handled in a number of ways:

1) (from app-admin/rudy)

I'm surprised if that actually works. I'd say that seems not
PMS-compliant but in fact PMS seems to almost not mention S.

2) (app-emacs/calfw and suggested solution for Sunrise)

src_unpack() {
	unpack ${A}
	mv kiwanami-emacs-calfw-* ${P} || die

3) (app-misc/bgrep)

4) (app-misc/tmux-mem-cpu-load)

src_prepare() {
	cd "${WORKDIR}"/thewtex-${PN}-*

What I'd like to do is creating a small github.eclass, encapsulating
a common, nice way of handling the S issue. I guess the best solution
would be to git with something like 2) above, with the eclass providing
github_src_unpack() for EAPIs 2+.

Maybe the eclass could be extended to support other kinds of snapshots.
I'm not sure if there aren't other services providing snapshots similar
to github.

Best regards,
Michał Górny

Subject Author