From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why don't you just ...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:56:09
1 On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 13:47 +0200, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2 > Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>:
3 >
4 > > Well, I don't know what your problem really is about; I'm running x86,
5 > > and if something breaks on my system, it's mostly not because of
6 > > broken packages, but because I should have been informed about
7 > > possible issues that could have been caused by an upgrade, and how to
8 > > avoid them. Often, ebuilds contain very important information that
9 > > are brought to the user via elog, ewarn and friends. The problem with
10 > > this approach is, that I won't read these messages if I'm doing a
11 > > world update while I'm asleep. This is, why I think, that it should
12 > > be one of Gentoos highest priorities to implement Glep 42 and make
13 > > heavy use of it.
14 >
15 > Use the ELOG features of Portage. The needed software has been
16 > packaged by your master-dev. :) app-portage/elogviewer in your case...
19 Thanks for that tip - app-portage/elogviewer seems to be an interesting
20 program. However, it is not an alternative for glep 42 as it may not
21 inform me about possible issues *before* it might be almost too late.
22 While for me, searching through the logs, to fix things afterwards is
23 acceptable, it is not on a system where functionality is critical.
24
25 Matthias
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list